Jump to Navigation

Resisting, Obstructing or Delaying a Police Officer

Contact The Firm

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Visit My Criminal Law - Blog

In California, it is a crime to resist, obstruct, or delay a police officer when that officer is performing his or her official duties. This of course leads to the question: "what exactly constitutes resisting, obstructing, or delaying a police officer?" Is it really a crime to delay a peace officer? In California, apparently it is (Penal Code section 148).

Resisting, obstructing, or delaying a police officer is often times the most unfair charge the government levels against its citizens. Of course, we cannot expect people to get away with resisting arrest, or obstructing or delaying police officer. What if the officer was on route to your house because it was being burglarized? As a society, we do not want that responding officer delayed form his important work in anyway. However, for some officers, this charge becomes a "blank check" to write against people the officer feels have "a bad attitude."

This blank check is a very expensive one. It comes in the form of a criminal charge against someone all because they may have disagreed with the officer, "disrespected" the officer, engaged in a little constitutionally protected back talk, or did not respond to the officers' commands quickly enough. And while the vast majority of officers are honest, hard-working professionals, deserved of our respect, the potential for the abuse of this particular charge is great. The charge almost always pits the officer's word against the defendant's, and there is usually little evidence to contradict the officer's version of events. Moreover, the charge itself makes the officers the victim of a crime. Jurors don't like it when officers are victims of crimes.

Because this charge can be abused, and because it is almost entirely subjective, it should be vigorously challenged. You will need an attorney who is familiar with appropriate police practices, policies, and procedures. You will need an attorney who routinely files Pitchess motions, which grant the attorney access to the police officer's personnel file in order to see if he has abused other people in the past. You will need somebody who has a respect for law enforcement, but is not intimidated by law enforcement. That lawyer is Mr. Bruno.

Don't go down without a fight. If you have been accused of resisting, obstructing, or delaying a police officer, contact the Orange County, Los Angeles and San Diego criminal defense firm of The Law Offices of Keith J. Bruno. We offer a free face-to-face consultation and can work out a payment plan in most situations.

The Newport Beach, Orange County, California, law offices of Keith J. Bruno represents Californians who have been accused, charged, or arrested for criminal offenses in Orange County, Los Angeles, Riverside, San Bernardino and San Diego.

Practice Areas

Office Location

The Law Offices of Keith J. Bruno, APC
4425 Jamboree Road, Suite 265
Newport Beach, CA 92660
Phone: 949-988-0932
Toll Free: 800-844-6907
Fax: 949-748-6994
Map and Directions